The Armenian Child Protection Network met with the staff of Standing Committee on Protection of Human Rights and Public Affairs on behalf of the Head of the Committee Mrs. Elinar Vardanyan. The meeting was held at the National Assembly on the 8th of May, 2014.
The Standing Committee on Protection of Human Rights and Public Affairs shares the concerns of the Armenian Child Protection Network on the following issues:
- Risks prevention in communities through development of early intervention services
- Denial, refusal and exclusion of child institutionalization under 3 years old
- Equal development of alternative types of care and provision of adequate approaches
- Aftercare services to young people from 18 to 23 years old
- The establishment of a Child Fund
The meeting aimed to advocate and lobby on the above-mentioned issues which are relevant to child protection in Armenia, focusing on targeting and improvement of services provided to children, as well as providing recommendations to the government through innovative mechanisms. The meeting is foreseen to be followed by further parliamentarian hearings.
Given the support of the Standing Committee on Protection of Human Rights and Public Affairs more meetings will be organized in order to develop and submit comprehensive packages for the upcoming hearings.
This initiative is fully supported by the Government of Romania within “Together for Children” project.
P.S. A brief meeting was held also with Mr. Khosrov Harutyunyan, the parliamentarian of the National Assembly to discuss the same issues as above. Mr. Kh. Harutyunyan expressed his readiness to support the initiative.